Sunday, March 17, 2013

Progress!

Well, I did it!  I nearly finished my first Viva outfit - and my very first pair of shorts!  I had a little bit of a problem at first because, as you can see, the waist was WAY too high.


But with some fiddling around I figured out how to fix it.

Trying to figure out how to afix the bib and waistband took a great deal of time.  I finally gave up on trying to understand the instructions and just did my own thing, and It turned out alright, if I do say so myself!

P.S.  sorry about the mirror picture -- I'll get better photos once I've hemmed these up and given them a good press.

I sewed up my first sure fit 'dress' too.  Only that didn't go so well :(


As you can see, I have fit issues with the blouse length, neck, and armholes and the skirt at the hips.  I know once I get this figured out it's going to be a huge asset for me, but I still have a LOT of work to do to figure it out.

And, last but not least, I started on the brown dot dress.  I'm so excited to be working on this for real!


I was trying to figure out today why everything was taking me so long.  Then I realized, before, all the major sewing I did was for costumes.  So if wastebands didn't fit right, or zippers didn't match up exactly, I didn't care.  But now -- Now I spend a hour pinning a lining just to make sure it all lines up correctly.  But, that's ok right?


P.S.  Today I learned the art of understiching - yay!

And, last but not least... Friday I swung by the fabric store near work (the good one) to pick up a few things, and they were having an AMAZING clearance sale.  I do mean amazing - some of the fabrics I picked up were under $1/yard and all were less then $3.

First was this pinkish-purpleish chiffon - I figured I could make a blouse out of it - I need more colorful blouses and with spring/summer coming up, the lighter the better!



doesn't hat make you crave some cottan candy?

I also picked up a more conservative fabric - also intending to make a shirt of.  I love a floral that gives interest without being too busy.



Then I found an amazing poly blend knit.  I had recently found a sweatshirt pattern that I loved, but I didn't want to do it in your standard boring sweatshirt material - I think this is going to be perfect.


Next was this brown cotton/poly "Burnout".  The brown color looks really BLAH at first.


But when you hold it up you find this:

I'll be on the lookout for the right lining and I know this is going to shine.
I also found what they called "Sportswear Twill"  I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it as it's got a heavy almost denim feel to it, but I loved the print.
And it was only 70 cents a yard.  I probably should have just brought home the whole thing, but I took five yards instead.

Picked up some navy water resistant fabric as well - who knows, I might be able to coax a jacket out of it.




I also found this INSANE "Special occasion" fabric.  It's nothing I would ever wear in real life, but at the price I just couldn't leave it there.  After getting it home, I was suddenly inspired use this as the basis of my Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade costume.  I mean, really, doesn't this scream as something a fairy would wear?

 Last, but not least, I stumbled across this...


(It's also the one fabric that caught my husband's eye, of everything I brought home.)  Here's the best part... It's swimsuit material!!   I've had this idea for a vintage inspired 'skirted' swimsuit in my head and this fit into perfectly.  I have no idea how to pull it off (maybe after I get my sure fit...fitted) but, I will - someday!

Tomorrow the goal is to get the shorts hemmed and the brown dress ready to hem (the bodice - the 'hard part' is done), and maybe get my blue check dress cut out.  But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment