Friday, April 26, 2013

Knits - I like!

Spent my last weekend playing with knits and I like 'em.  Everything went together so easily and I love not have to do tedious things like inserting zippers!

I have been reviewing the Sewing with Knits class at Craftsy over and over while I waited for my walking foot to come in - so I was ready to jump right in as soon as it arrived.

The first thing I made was a scoop necked "T".  I made the long sleaved version because that seemed more fitting with the thermal knit I had.  I cut it all on the flat because I wanted to make sure the pattern didn't end up wonkey.  I also drafted some contrast cuffs based on another thermal shirt that I have and love the way the overall look turned out.  I struggled a little with the collar but it's a learning process and because this is meant to be a casual shirt I'm probably not going to worry about the fact that it's not perfect.  The people at home and in the dog park won't mind!



Next I upped the anti.  Although the hoodie is considered the first/simplest project in the course, I wasn't making it with recommended sweatshirt material.  So, the difficulty was upped by the light light light rayon jersey I was using.  And to up the challenge even more, the fabric is a plaid so I had to cut everything on the flat and pay attention to get the pattern to come close to matching.  And, yes, the fabric did challenge me.  First, the recommendation to use a stretch needle didn't work here.  Something about the fabric would just make the needle bounce off and I was skipping stitches.  I ended up having to use a sharp needle to get it to work.  And then the fabric was so light -- if I even thought about getting near the opening the fabric would suck down into the machine in an instant - it made keeping the 3/8" seam allowance a challenge.  But I'm over the moon abut how it turned out!

 
Source: Hoodie via Samboddy69 on Craftsy
Then, because I loved this fabric so much, and I had some fabric left over, I decided to try to make a skirt out of it.  I didn't have enough to cut the back and front on the fold so I literally pieced the thing together, but I love love love how it turned out anyway and will get tons out of use out of the comfortable piece of clothing.


Source: Yoga Skirt via Samboddy69 on Craftsy
I've got another knit project on a hanger right now and several other woven projects in various stages of completeness.  I've got the day off today so I'm hoping to add a few more things to my closet before "Me Made May" starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment