Thursday, April 4, 2013

Organizing

I've been trying desperately to organize and figure out 'what's next' for me sewing wise.  I've managed to clump my projects into a few categories:

1)  Knits

I've had my eye on the Craftsy "Sewing with Knits" class for a little while now, and while I was on vacation it went on SALE so I snapped that puppy up!  However, when revewing the materials I saw that it recommended that you have a machine with an adjustable presser foot (which I don't have) and if you didn't that you use a walking foot.  Well, I don't have a walking foot, so I had to order one and I'm now waiting for that to come in so I can start the course.  Until I finish the course I've put all my knit sewing on hold - may as well do it right.

2) Chiffon (and the like)

I've been going crazy buying chiffon fabrics - seriously.  In doing research on sewing with gauzy fabrics like this I found that it's best to have a small hole in your plate so that the fabric doesn't get drug down inside (I had this problem on my 'new' machine when I tried sewing some gauzy fabric before).  Sooooo, until I get my singer featherweight back from being serviced (it only sews straight and has a nice small opening) I'll my chiffon projects are on hold

3) Underthings

I've kindof bunched these under knits because I suspect that due the fact that I'll be using stretch satin and stretch lace the techniques I learn in my knit class will be important here as well.

4) Other stuff

This is the stuff I'm 'pretty much' ready to work on now -- and the options are still over whelming!  I don't know why I'm having such a hard time picking a fabric and a pattern to work on.  I really have a hard time figuring out 'will this look good'?  And I start stressing out over fit issues - and worrying that it won't come out perfect, and...and...

I know that I just need to make a decision, and cut something!

Besides the boatload of patterns I've been collection (both vintage and standard)  I also have  Gertie's "bombshell dress" class on craftsy and I want to go through and her book and make all the stuff that's in there!

Oh - and I still need to take pictures of all my recently finished projects - I mean, isn't that what people like seeing the most on a blog? :D  (I'll do it this weekend, I swear!  I couldn't get my husband to take photos while we were in vegas - I have no idea why he's so weird about taking my picture)

And so... I still don't know what I'm going to work on next!  LOL

but, I have been being a good little sewer and pre-washing ALL my fabric so that I don't skip that step any more (a bad impatient habit of mine) and get right to sewing once the inspiration finally hits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment